I have this process that runs "tail -f" on a number of logs.  Recently, I've
noticed a crash (module report, etc) but I'm never there when it happens.
Today, I got interested enough to look up the error.

I found a report with the same error on a Skylake system when monitors are
connected, or when the user returns to X from text mode.  My CPU is an i5
(Skylake core? stepping?) and the error happens when I reconnect monitors,
and also when I return to X from text-mode.  So I'm fairly sure we're
talking about the same error.

The fix has been rolled into the 4.8 kernel; I run 4.4.0-22.  What's the
Ubuntu-blessed way of upgrading?  I thought upgrading linux-image-generic
would do it, but that only wants to upgrade me to a later 4.4 kernel.

--
-eben   [log in to unmask]  ebmanda.redirectme.net:81
           Logic is a systematic method of coming to