This is not a definitive answer, to be sure, but I would look at rsync to do the data-copying. If you're starting with a blank target disk, it will copy everything over. If, however, you're starting with a disk that has part of the data already in place, it will ignore files that are identical on the source and target, update those on the target that are older, and add any from the source that are not on the target at all.

I don't know of a down-side to rsync, but maybe more experienced users will offer more input.

~ William