SocNet:

Calling all *Network *Graduate students!  We invite you to join us for our
first ever *Network Science Graduate Student Symposium
<http://www.networkscienceinstitute.org/syns> *hosted by the *Society of
Young Network Scientists*.

The meeting will be held as a satellite session preceding the annual NetSci
<http://netsci2017.net/satellites> Conference on *June 20, 2017**. *We will
provide scholarships to roughly 20 applicants -- with a max of 25
participants.

This one-day event will include:

(*i*) *Student presentations*

(*ii*) *Introductory level tutorials* (topics such as network visualization
techniques or network based algorithms)

(*iii*) *Hands-on group activity* (a hackathon-like experience TBD)

(*iv*) *Professional development panel* discussions on topics that deal
with specific challenges gained from network science, in particular, those
that result from interdisciplinary endeavors.

In addition, all attendees will be invited to attend the first day of
the NetSci
School <http://netsci2017.net/school> on June 19.

Apply here! <http://www.networkscienceinstitute.org/syns>

*Purpose of meeting*: The goals for this meeting is to help graduate
students gain both a common foundational training in network science
(including approaches, languages, problems), as well as facilitate the
exchange of information, build community, and establish a set of faculty
and NS mentors.  This is an opportunity to develop a community of
like-minded young colleagues who identify as network scientists, or
network-ish, or see networks everywhere and possibly a path for future
research. Social network folks are strongly encouraged to participate!

*SYNS group*: During the meeting, students will have time to develop a
long-term vision for SYNS. The hope is that this group will give students a
place to convene - to share resources, experiences and perspectives; and to
facilitate social, professional, and informational connections across a
variety of disciplines. While this inaugural meeting is connected to NetSci
-- it is a stand-alone event that we hope will become sustainable and truly
interdisciplinary.

*To Faculty & Mentors* – If you are interested in getting involved with
this event – to help organize, design/implement a data challenge activity,
or you have any other ideas -- please contact me directly.  We would
appreciate any contributions.  Also, of course, if you have students who
could get something out of this event, please pass on.

--
*Kate Coronges*
  Executive Director, Network Science Institute