SocNet:

Calling all Network Graduate students!  We invite you to join us for our first ever Network Science Graduate Student Symposium hosted by the Society of Young Network Scientists.

The meeting will be held as a satellite session preceding the annual NetSci Conference on June 20, 2017We will provide scholarships to roughly 20 applicants -- with a max of 25 participants.

This one-day event will include:

(iStudent presentations

(iiIntroductory level tutorials (topics such as network visualization techniques or network based algorithms)

(iiiHands-on group activity (a hackathon-like experience TBD)

(ivProfessional development panel discussions on topics that deal with specific challenges gained from network science, in particular, those that result from interdisciplinary endeavors.

In addition, all attendees will be invited to attend the first day of the NetSci School on June 19.

Apply here!

Purpose of meeting: The goals for this meeting is to help graduate students gain both a common foundational training in network science (including approaches, languages, problems), as well as facilitate the exchange of information, build community, and establish a set of faculty and NS mentors.  This is an opportunity to develop a community of like-minded young colleagues who identify as network scientists, or network-ish, or see networks everywhere and possibly a path for future research. Social network folks are strongly encouraged to participate!

SYNS group: During the meeting, students will have time to develop a long-term vision for SYNS. The hope is that this group will give students a place to convene - to share resources, experiences and perspectives; and to facilitate social, professional, and informational connections across a variety of disciplines. While this inaugural meeting is connected to NetSci -- it is a stand-alone event that we hope will become sustainable and truly interdisciplinary.

To Faculty & Mentors – If you are interested in getting involved with this event – to help organize, design/implement a data challenge activity, or you have any other ideas -- please contact me directly.  We would appreciate any contributions.  Also, of course, if you have students who could get something out of this event, please pass on.

--
Kate Coronges
  Executive Director, Network Science Institute