From: Ortiz,Paul [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, February 23, 2017 6:30 PM
Subject: Samuel Proctor Oral History Program Mississippi Freedom Trip, June, 2017

Dear Colleagues and Students,

I am writing with an exciting opportunity. The Samuel Proctor Oral History Program at the University of Florida has been conducting oral history field work in the Mississippi Delta since the summer of 2008.
This work builds on my own field research in the Delta when I was a graduate student at Duke in the 1990s. SPOHP's Mississippi Freedom Project has grown into an award-winning program that has resulted in numerous public history panels, civil rights history symposiums, 200+ oral history interviews, teachers guides on the Civil Rights Movement as well as an edited collection of interviews in booklet form commemorating the 50th anniversary of Freedom Summer in historic Sunflower County, Mississippi. This booklet, "I will Never Forget: Memories from Mississippi Freedom Summer," is a featured resource on the nationally-acclaimed Civil Rights Teaching blog.

You may read more about the Mississippi Freedom Project here:
http://oral.history.ufl.edu/projects/mfp/

This summer, SPOHP will have an oral history field work team in Mississippi from Monday, June 19th through the following Sunday. Our major stops will include: Natchez, Vicksburg, and Glendora where we will do a day of service at the Emmett Till Historic Intrepid Center:
http://www.visitmississippi.org/events-and-points-of-interest/emmett-till-historic-intrepid-center-24326

If you are interested in participating in SPOPH's 10th annual oral history field work trip to Mississippi please contact me directly. If you know of students who may be interested in participating as well please do refer them to SPOHP. The educational impact of this oral history field work trip on the lives of our students cannot be overestimated. The opportunity to interview individuals who changed American history along with staff at institutions such as the Southern Poverty Law Center and the Equal Justice Initiative in Montgomery, Alabama has led many alumni of the trip to pursue public interest and civil rights law at universities such as Howard, Georgetown, Emory, Duke, the University of Florida, and many others.

If you would like to make a donation to help sustain SPOHP's oral history field work, you can click here:
https://www.uff.ufl.edu/OnlineGiving/FundDetail.asp?FundCode=000613&appealcode=AA1K

I greatly appreciate your support.

On to Mississippi!

Best Regards,

Paul Ortiz

--
Dr. Paul Ortiz
Director, Samuel Proctor Oral History Program

Past President, Oral History Association http://www.oralhistory.org/

"Centuries of the Black Freedom Struggle in Florida: From the Battle of Negro Fort to the Emergence of the Dream Defenders."
New Directions in Florida's African American History Conference, Flagler College, March 23-25 http://www.flagler.edu/academics/new-directions/