Our student athletes receive two options for their study hall time:

1.      Be in the area monitored by the Athletics department working independently or with a small number of tutors that Athletics retains directly for this population—We are not involved with those tutors, who generally seem to work for Athletics in other capacities such as assistant coach.

2.      Be actively working with one of our tutors in their designated tutoring space, which may be our central facility in the Library or a satellite location—Students must be signed in through our scheduling and reporting system, and the tutor must affirm that they were engaged in a tutoring session for the duration.  We send a weekly report of student athlete visits to the Athletics Compliance Officer for confirmation.  We have avoided being put in the position of monitoring students who are not working with us because we cannot reasonably track them.  While student athletes are welcome to work independently in our Computer Lab, making use of the technology and software, they do not receive credit for the study hall alternative for it.
We attempted to schedule tutors for student athletes in years past but ran into some of the same issues other folks noted—minimal to no interest or overwhelming need, so we’ve found it’s better to give the students the same access as their non-athletic counterparts receive as we’re open six days, and 65 hours, a week and can cover most of their needs in this forum.
Sincerely,

Debbie Malewicki, MA
Director, Center for Learning Resources
Winner of the 2016 ATP Program of Excellence Award
Safe Zone Ally
116 Marvin K. Peterson Library
University of New Haven -- "A Leader in Experiential Education"
300 Boston Post Road
West Haven, CT  06516
Phone:  (203) 932-7415
Fax:  (203) 931-6013
E-mail:  [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

"Tutoring to Help You Blossom Into a Better Student”

Thought of the day:  “A man can fail many times, but he isn’t a failure until he begins to blame somebody else.”  By John Burroughs