In my past experiences -- as a director and a program reviewer -- there are
advantages on both sides (an unfortunate dichotomy), academic or student
affairs.  If funding is more generous with student affairs, quality staff
can work to connect to the academic faculty by teaching, through their
attitudes toward instructional support, by offering services specifically
supporting instruction, and other collaborations.  In either case, learning
assistance program personnel are most supported by professional
organizations other than library-focused groups.  There are training
programs and degrees specific to learning assistance professional
personnel, certifications and best practices specific to learning
assistance services, and support specifically designed for student tutors
and study leaders.   Library personnel and workers have their own
specialized and important concerns -- why would they want to seek
additional training and responsibilities in order to most effectively
manage a learning assistance program?