In my past experiences -- as a director and a program reviewer -- there are advantages on both sides (an unfortunate dichotomy), academic or student affairs.  If funding is more generous with student affairs, quality staff can work to connect to the academic faculty by teaching, through their attitudes toward instructional support, by offering services specifically supporting instruction, and other collaborations.  In either case, learning assistance program personnel are most supported by professional organizations other than library-focused groups.  There are training programs and degrees specific to learning assistance professional personnel, certifications and best practices specific to learning assistance services, and support specifically designed for student tutors and study leaders.   Library personnel and workers have their own specialized and important concerns -- why would they want to seek additional training and responsibilities in order to most effectively manage a learning assistance program?