Ana,

When we have students waiting, we ask tutors to either work with them all as a group (if they are all from the same course/class), or begin limiting sessions to 20 minutes. Of course, you would need a way for the tutor to be aware that students are waiting. We've used the low-tech solution of having students sign up on a white board that the tutor can see.

On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 12:34 PM, Robert Dawson Jr. <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Hi, Ana. Have you tried grouping students by subject and let them work together? This would allow peer students to discuss concepts and simultaneously free up some tutors.

From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]EDU] On Behalf Of Torres, Ana
Sent: Thursday, March 02, 2017 11:43 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Drop-in Centers - Waiting lists

Dear colleagues,

Just looking for ideas from others who have drop-in centers, in particular their policies when centers are at maximum capacity.

We have no time limitations for students who use our drop-in tutoring centers. So students stay as long as they want.

When we can’t take any more students for a given center, we set up waiting lists for students who seek tutoring.

Most of the time the wait lists work well because people come in and out of the centers at a reasonable rate.

But lately we are seeing some problems.

Sometimes we have students waiting for hours because no one will leave the center.

Students are aware that there is a waiting list and rather than leave and come back later, they just stay for hours.

Most of them do work with tutors and other students but their extended stay prevents other students from getting help.

We’ve also had students who, aware there is a waiting list, leave their belongings behind but leave the center for extended periods.

Tutors don’t notice because they are busy and may think that the student is just running to the restroom.

As you can imagine this tends to happen right before tests.

If you have similar conditions, what are your policies when your center is full?

Do you use different strategies during rush times prior to exams?

Thanks in advance for sharing any ideas.

Best,

Ana

Dr. Ana T. Torres-Ayala

Assistant Director, Academic Success Center

SMART Lab Director

University of South Florida

[log in to unmask] | (813) 974-1204

“Continuous effort — not strength or intelligence — is the key to unlocking our potential.”– Liane Cardes