Does anyone else have trouble staffing their peer tutoring programs? We certainly struggle to keep enough tutors on staff. Often, we start the semester a few tutors short of what we would really like to have, and then we also end up losing some throughout the semester. Usually they say they need to devote more time to their school work, or occasionally they say it doesn’t pay enough, or they got a new job. We are additionally challenged by the fact that we are a community college, so by the time a student is proficient enough in math or science for us to utilize their expertise, they are about to graduate.

All that to say, does anyone have any solutions to this issue? We have tried reaching out to instructors for recommendations, and rarely get responses. We have put job postings around campus (which usually brings us the few new hires we get each semester).

Any ideas or things that have worked for you?

Thanks,

Kelly Askey lodes  |  Peer/Group Tutoring Program Supervisor

Academic Support Center at Florissant Valley

3400 Pershall Rd.| St. Louis, MO 63135  |voice 314.513.4073 | email [log in to unmask]

WWW.STLCC.EDU

ST. LOUIS COMMUNITY COLLEGE  ... EXPANDING MINDS... CHANGING LIVES