If we do not have a tutor for a requested course I send an email to the
department chair requesting a list of tutors that the professors
recommend.  I feel this builds respect for the tutoring program among
faculty since all of my tutors have been faculty recommended.  I also have
try and attract those who are wanting to go into education as this position
will will look good on a resume.  The third thing is I work HARD to make
sure that if a student is busy with their academics (those are the students
I want anyway) that I have very small obligations for them in tutoring.  IF
that means I hire three tutors to cover the same work load that one who
wants a lot of hours so be it.  I know the quality of the tutoring is high
and they tend to say with me through their time here.

On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 9:38 AM, Askey, Kelly L. <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Does anyone else have trouble staffing their peer tutoring programs? We
> certainly struggle to keep enough tutors on staff. Often, we start the
> semester a few tutors short of what we would really like to have, and then
> we also end up losing some throughout the semester. Usually they say they
> need to devote more time to their school work, or occasionally they say it
> doesn’t pay enough, or they got a new job. We are additionally challenged
> by the fact that we are a community college, so by the time a student is
> proficient enough in math or science for us to utilize their expertise,
> they are about to graduate.
>

> All that to say, does anyone have any solutions to this issue? We have
> tried reaching out to instructors for recommendations, and rarely get
> the few new hires we get each semester).
>

> Any ideas or things that have worked for you?
>

> Thanks,
>

> *Kelly Askey lodes  **|*  Peer/Group Tutoring Program Supervisor
>

> Academic Support Center at Florissant Valley
>
> 3400 Pershall Rd.| St. Louis, MO 63135  |voice 314.513.4073
> <(314)%20513-4073> | email [log in to unmask]
>

> WWW.STLCC.EDU
>
> ST. LOUIS COMMUNITY COLLEGE  ... EXPANDING MINDS... CHANGING LIVES

*Louis Burkwhat,  M.A.E., M.Div.*

*Director Academic Success Center*

*530-226-4979 <530-226-4979> office*

*X2979 ext.*

*530-226-4864 fax*

*Want to set up a time to meet?  Get on my calendar *here
<https://lburkwhat.youcanbook.me/>!

*[image:
https://ci6.googleusercontent.com/proxy/kBlrDx1Veop7btb7nGaDci0Y_kT7eToJovCbEDCbustQCpFrqVDOI9GWK9Tgs55B5yBIWeSIKnUuDrt3409RfqNtnIY=s0-d-e1-ft#http://simpsonu.edu/assets/img/ID/email/su.gif]*

*Learner—Belief—Achiever—Responsibility**—**Connectedness*

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This communication and any documents, files,
or previous e-mail messages attached to it, constitute an electronic
communication within the scope of the electronic Communication Privacy
Act, 18, USCA 2510.  This communication may contain non-public,
confidential, or legally privileged information intended for the sole
use of the designated recipients.  The unlawful interception, use or
disclosure of such information is strictly prohibited under 18 USCA
2511 and any applicable laws.