Hi Danielle,

We just implemented a scavenger hunt this year for our first-year College
Success Seminar course. Instead of doing a tour, students had a 2-3 page
list of things they needed to do or find in the library. This included:

   - Finding a book using the online catalog
   - Printing a PowerPoint (3 slides to a page - I think this was chosen
   partly to get students to stop printing 50-page PowerPoints one slide to a
   page!)
   - Finding a journal article
   - Visiting the Writing Center and creating a WC Online account
   - Creating a sample appointment with an academic coach (we set up a
   "fake" academic coach in our WC Online schedule so students could see the
   process of setting up an appointment without having to actually cop to
   wanting help in front of their peers)
   - Learn how to request a tutor for a class
   - Some tech-use stuff because our library is integrated with
   information/technology services

They had to have people sign off on a lot of these things, so we staffed
some extra tutors at these times. Overall, student response wasn't exactly
enthusiastic, but they certainly got more out of it than a tour or a class
visit. Utilization has been dramatically higher this year, and we think
this is at least part of the reason.

Hope this helps,
Emily

Emily Janssen
Director of Tutoring and Supplemental Instruction
(262) 551-6047
Hedberg Library 215
Hours: Sunday through Thursday, 10 am - 7 pm

On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 10:54 AM, Malewicki, Debbie <[log in to unmask]