We call our non-subject area tutors academic coaches. Their job is to help students with generic skills like note taking, testing strategies, and time management. We also have subject area tutors who specialize in particular subjects. Starting as an academic coach is often a good way for students to eventually move into subject area tutoring. The time requirement for academic coaches is less than our tutors. Coaches spend an hour a week with their mentees. They can have from 1 to 4 mentees in a semester.

On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 11:39 AM, Jered Wasburn-Moses <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

We do, but we do not have a separate position for them. They are tutors/consultants in our content tutoring or writing center who have completed Level 2 training. (Our Level 2 is focused on preparing them for this role.)

Jered Wasburn-Moses

Associate Director for Tutoring Programs

Learning PLUS

Northern Kentucky University

University Center 170F

(859) 572-5779

From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]EDU] On Behalf Of Julie Luekenga
Sent: Friday, March 24, 2017 12:37 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Study Skill "Tutors"

Greetings and Happy Friday,

Do any of you utilize tutors specifically for study skills? If so, or if you have a similar position (coaches, etc), would you be willing to share your job description?

Thank you so much,

Julie

--

Julie Luekenga

Assistant Director, Academic Resource Center

Aims Community College

Learning Commons

CCTR 281

Dana Roof