Hi everyone,

We provide tutoring in conjunction with our football team's required study
hall. The Writing Center sends a couple tutors for each study hall, and we
provide content tutors for some of the most commonly requested areas -
Spanish, our first-year core course called Western Heritage, math, and so
forth. The coaches also send us additional tutor requests, so that we can
match players with tutors for classes that we don't staff at the events
(often Computer Science or Accounting fall in that bracket).

We use a separate schedule in WC Online, which the coaches use to sign
players up for tutoring sessions during the study hall. We find that
pre-booking the students keeps utilization up. The coaches run the event
and are present in the study hall room. Tutors are in another room in the
same building (our athletics center), and players walk over for sessions.
You might think the players would feel stigmatized by leaving the study
hall room to go see a tutor, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I
suspect the coaches have built up a culture that tutoring is a resource and
you're smart to make use of it.

So my recommendations for anyone who's starting a partnership like this are:

   - Pre-book players' tutoring sessions. Our coaches do a weekly check-in
   with every player, and they pre-book at that time.
   - Work with coaches to staff the right tutors each semester (e.g. some
   semesters we need two Spanish tutors, while other semesters we only need
   one)
   - Communicate with coaches about how the schedule works around breaks,
   games, etc. It's always good to know in advance if there are days (e.g.
   during Spring Break!) when tutors are not needed.
   - This eats up a surprising amount of time, especially in the first few
   weeks of the semester. If you can, you may want to think strategically
   about whose workload would be manageable with the extra duties of
   coordinating the study halls. Since we're short on professional staff at my
   institution, I've been spinning off some of the coordination duties to a
   student lead tutor. Setting that up is a little tricky, but it's been
   working quite well since we got it started.
   - If possible, staff experienced tutors for study hall events, and/or
   train tutors on group tutoring techniques. Often our Spanish and Western
   Heritage (core first-year course) tutors end up working with three or four
   students simultaneously.

Hope this helps!
Emily

Emily Janssen
Carthage College
Director of Tutoring and Supplemental Instruction
(262) 551-6047
Hedberg Library 215
Hours: Sunday through Thursday, 10 am - 7 pm