Hi everyone,

We provide tutoring in conjunction with our football team's required study hall. The Writing Center sends a couple tutors for each study hall, and we provide content tutors for some of the most commonly requested areas - Spanish, our first-year core course called Western Heritage, math, and so forth. The coaches also send us additional tutor requests, so that we can match players with tutors for classes that we don't staff at the events (often Computer Science or Accounting fall in that bracket).

We use a separate schedule in WC Online, which the coaches use to sign players up for tutoring sessions during the study hall. We find that pre-booking the students keeps utilization up. The coaches run the event and are present in the study hall room. Tutors are in another room in the same building (our athletics center), and players walk over for sessions. You might think the players would feel stigmatized by leaving the study hall room to go see a tutor, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I suspect the coaches have built up a culture that tutoring is a resource and you're smart to make use of it.

So my recommendations for anyone who's starting a partnership like this are:
Hope this helps!
Emily

Emily Janssen
Carthage College
Director of Tutoring and Supplemental Instruction
(262) 551-6047
Hedberg Library 215
Hours: Sunday through Thursday, 10 am - 7 pm