Hello Charlene,

In response to a budget cut several years ago, I changed a foreign languages tutoring program from drop-in to appointment only and cut costs by 50% while raising productivity also by 50%. We also offer chemistry, biology, physics, speech and presentation, and group work assistance by appointment only. Appointments are made flexibly thrtough distribution email addresses for each unit. That is, when a student needs general chemistry help, she sends an email to [log in to unmask] and one of our three tutors makes an appointment to meet in our Learning Commons. Our Writing Center shifted from a combination of walk-in and appointments to appointment-only using WC Online as the scheduler. Only our math and nursing programs in the Learning Commons are walk-in.

I’m happy with what we’re doing because I’m not paying for down time and students who couldn’t make the walk-in times before can now make appointments that fit their schedules. I would like to move away from an email system of scheduling appointments and toward some other system and will be exploring our existing WC Online to see it might work for making flexible appointments.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

Cheers,

Jeffrey

Jeffrey White, M.A., M.S.

Learning Commons Administrator, Shepard Academic Resource Center

Instructor of German, International Languages and Cultures

Buckley Center 163, MSC 184

University of Portland

5000 N. Willamette Blvd.

Portland, Oregon 97203