I would recommend Marsden and Campbell (1984) "Measuring Tie Strength".
first and foremost.

https://www.bebr.ufl.edu/sites/default/files/Marsden%20and%20Campbell%20-%201984%20-%20Measuring%20Tie%20Strength.pdf

I believe Barry Wellman and my former NetLab colleagues were working on a
Connected Lives paper on this as well. (Colours of Closeness or something
to that effect).

Take care,
Bernie

Bernie Hogan, PhD
Research Fellow, Oxford Internet Institute
Faculty Fellow, Alan Turing Institute
University of Oxford
Http://www.oii.ox.ac.uk/people/hogan

(On mobile, so my spelling is often a little off)