Hi James,

FYI, while not meta analyses per se, I have written (or co-written) a
few encyclopedia pieces reviewing some of the literature on this topic.
I can e-mail pdfs of these to you offline, if you are interested.

The references are:

Tindall, D.B. 2011. “Tie Strength”. Pp 865-868 in George A. Barnett
(Editor), Encyclopedia of Social Networks, Volume 2. Sage Publications.

Tindall, D.B.  "Weak Ties (Strength of)".  2011.  Page 684 in George
Ritzer (ed.), Concise Blackwell Encyclopedia of Sociology.  Oxford, UK;
Blackwell Publishing.

Tindall, D.B.  and Todd Malinick.  2007.  “Weak Ties (Strength of).”  In
The Blackwell Encyclopedia of Sociology, edited by George Ritzer.
Oxford, U.K.: Blackwell Publishing, Vol. 10, pp. 5222-5225.

Also, there is supposed to be a second edition coming out of the
Blackwell Encyclopedia of Sociology piece (which we wrote and submitted
some time ago). But I don't know the details of when it will be published.

Also, I reviewed this topic a bit in some other works, including in a
review piece with Barry Wellman on Canadian Sociology:

Tindall, D.B. and Barry Wellman 2001.  “Canada As Social Structure:
Social Networks and Canadian Sociology.”  Canadian Journal of Sociology,
26:265-308.

And also in some other works on social movements.

Sincerely,

David Tindall

Professor
Department of Sociology