Re. new publication on social networks and participation in an
environmental movement. Apologies for cross-postings.

Details for interested readers below.

Joanna Robinson and I have published a new article entitled: “Collective
action to save the ancient temperate rainforest: social networks and
environmental activism in Clayoquot Sound”, published in /Ecology and
Society/.

It is open access. You can read it online at:
http://www.ecologyandsociety.org/vol22/iss1/art40/

You can also download a pdf of the article from the above link (which
may be easier to read).

You can browse the entire special issue on “Networking the Environment:
Social Network Analysis in Environmental Management and Local Ecological
Knowledge Studies” at:

http://www.ecologyandsociety.org/issues/view.php?sf=110

*The article abstract:*

In 1993 over 850 people were arrested for engaging in civil disobedience
to prevent the clear-cut logging of pristine ancient temperate
rainforests in Clayoquot Sound, Canada. This was the largest incident of
this type in Canadian history, and has arguably been Canada’s most
visible mobilization over a specific environmental issue. This study
examines the factors that explain the ongoing participation of
individuals in the environmental movement (more broadly, beyond
participation in civil disobedience) to protect Clayoquot Sound during
the period following the 1993 protest. We focus on the roles of
interpersonal social networks and movement identification, and compare
their statistical effects with the effects of values and attitudes on
the level of participation of individuals in the movement. We compare
survey data from members of Friends of Clayoquot Sound (FOCS), a key
environmental organization in this protest, with data collected from
several surveys of the general public, and also from members of a local
countermovement group (a proforest industry group that mobilized against
the environmental movement). Although values and attitudes statistically
differentiate members of FOCS from the other groups, these variables do
not statistically explain ongoing differential participation in the
movement amongst FOCS members. Rather, individual level of participation
in this environmental movement is best explained by ego-network
centrality (the pattern of ties each respondent has to contacts in the
movement), as measured by the number of ties FOCS members have to others
in a range of environmental organizations, and by their level of
identification with the movement. Implications of this research for more
recent mobilizations, such as against oil pipelines, are discussed, as
are avenues for future research.

*A few comments:*

I am pleased about the article for several reasons, amongst others, it
involved quite a lot of research, and I have been hoping to write this
up and get it out for some while. Here are a few contextual comments for
interested readers.

 From the perspective of the social movements literature, there are a
few things that I think are interesting. One, is that this is a
relatively unique study that has identical data on a social movement, a
counter movement, and two samples of the general public. And indeed the
findings reflect what we would expect theoretically, quite nicely. These
comparisons enable us -- to some degree – to deal with the problem of
sampling on the dependent variable. Also, the main findings are quite
robust statistically.

Also, this is an important case – arguably one of the most important
cases pertaining to the environmental movement in Canada, which in turn
is one of the most high profile movements in Canada.

  Like all studies, there are some limitations – but hopefully there are
also some things people will find of interest.

DBT