Dear Socneters,

here´s a kind reminder of the Call for Papers for the Session "Sport and Networks" at the 3rd European Conference on Social Networks (EUSN), to be held at Johannes Gutenberg-University Mainz (Germany), September 26 to 29, 2017 (cf. details below).

Please forward the CfP to anyone who might be interested! We're looking foward to contributions to our session. The abstract submission deadline is March 31st.

Best regards,

Tom Töpfer & Raphael Heiberger

Session at the 3rd European Conference on Social Networks (EUSN)

at Johannes Gutenberg-University Mainz, September 26 to 29, 2017

Call for Papers

“Sport and Networks”

Sport is a phenomenon that touches almost all members of society and can be viewed from very different angles. So far, only little work has been conducted on sport using a social network methodology even though social network analysis (SNA) might be used to explore many interaction processes of and within sport teams: Intra group relations of team members, game situations (e.g. passes, assists) as well as relations to opponents can give us fundamental insights in cooperation strategies and group-constituting mechanisms of sport teams and organizations. Players share attributes, experiences or backgrounds, relating to basic network questions of, for instance, homophily. Besides the game itself, sport can be regarded as a field of inter-organizational relations. Athletes as well as clubs are interconnected with their environment and have relations to other sport organizations, associations, sponsors, fans, the government or agents. SNA can be applied to analyze these organizational relations, enlighten managerial recruitment strategies or supply networks of sport actors.

The many subject areas of sport research provide various fields of application using a SNA conceptual orientation or methodological techniques. Especially in the light of current debates on processes of globalization, professionalization, medialization, technization, economization or individualization within sports we are looking for contributions that investigate sports with a social network perspective. As sport research is an interdisciplinary area we like to invite scholars with multiple backgrounds and from different disciplines like medicine, history, sociology, management and economics, media science, education, psychology or computer science. We welcome abstracts within sport research that explore, illustrate and analyze ego networks, whole networks, two-mode networks or social capital with an empirical or theoretical emphasis.

Abstract Submission:

Please hand in your abstract (max. 500 words) via the conference management system CONVERIA (http://www.eusn2017.uni-mainz.de/abstract-submission/) and indicate the name of the session: “Sport and Networks”. Abstract submission deadline is March 31st.

Session organizers:

Raphael Heiberger (University of Bremen)

Tom Töpfer (University of Bremen)