Dear Simon,

I think this is a wonderful idea. I personally don't see any harm in
duplication of effort here and certainly not when it's being managed by a
professional. Heretofore, the collections I can think of have all been
hobby level or somewhat separate from core research data archives.
Obviously this isn't to knock the Koblenz collection, various GitHub
repositories, or other sites like Jure's collection of massive data sets.
But there's also a place for more secure data storage and retrieval,
considering the sensitivity of the data. This is different from putting up
fully anonymised versions of some now-classic data.

I suspect most of what is required is simply will and marketing.

I doubt many people here would say "don't do it". But I think a lot of
people would forget it exists if it's not repeatedly mentioned either here
or at conferences. If you're willing to promote this data archive and help
steer the submission of data I'm sure it would be a solid contribution. In
a longer term, it would be nice to see more industrial-strength means for
submitting data associated with papers so others can replicate findings.
Again, maybe it already exists for SNA somewhere and I missed it. But even
if so, I'm happy to be reminded and happy to see more effort in data
access, even if it's ever so slightly redundant.

Take care,
Bernie

Bernie Hogan, PhD
Research Fellow, Oxford Internet Institute
Faculty Fellow, Alan Turing Institute
University of Oxford
Http://www.oii.ox.ac.uk/people/hogan