Bill,

Minimizing the number of crossings is NP-hard problem. Once your network is large a general optimal solution is not feasible. There are approximations, of course, but finding the right approximation depends on the networks you are dealing with (are they large or small, dense or sparse, are the groups similar in their sizes or not, etc.) I am not aware of a software that does such approximations generally. I work with R and igraph, which allows you to create whatever layout for the nodes you have in mind, and it is easy to encapsulate the two column logic and some approximation of the order within a function that you can later use. I am very enthusiastic about the new ggraph package that was just released with some great tools for visualizing networks. Again, some programming will be needed (I didn't find out-of-the-box solution), but maybe a note to the authors of the package will make them put what you need inside the next version? worth a try :-)

Best,
Amit