From: AGU Science Policy [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, March 31, 2017 1:20 PM
To: Graham, Wendy D. <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: AGU Science Policy Alert: Taking Action Before and After the March

 Click here to access the web version of this message.

AGU Science Policy Alert

Taking Action: Before and After the March for Science

March for Science Webinar

Whether you're attending a March for Science or not, tune in to our webinar, Marching for Science ... and Beyond! on 13 April 2017 at 2 P.M. ET. In the first half of the webinar, you'll hear how you can amplify the value of science to your community and about the customized AGU resources to help you. In the second half, AGU staff will be taking questions about the March for Science. To learn more about ways you can engage during and after the march, register today!

Consider Submitting a Policy Session for Fall Meeting 2017

Submit your great idea for a science policy session at Fall Meeting today. Choose Public Affairs from the Section and Focus Group list to submit your science policy session abstract. The deadline for submissions is 19 April.

Congress is Out!

From 8-22 April, members of Congress will be back home in their districts and states for the April recess. Over the next few weeks, AGU will be sharing ten ways you can show your support for strong science in your community and around the world! Follow us on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook for our videos and resources to help you get started.

Apply for AGU's 2017 Congressional Visit Day (CVD)

If you're an AGU member from Alabama, Florida, Illinois, Louisiana, or Mississippi consider applying for AGU's 2017 CVD. If you're not a resident of one of this year's target states, here are ten ways you can take action today!

Take Action:

  • If you have ten minutes...
    Send a letter to your policymakers urging them to make a strong investment in U.S. science and research. The President's budget suggests dramatic cuts to several of our nation's key science agencies, but Congress has the final say on these agencies' budgets. Share with your policymakers the importance of these agencies to your community and the nation, and the critical need to keep them funded.
  • If you have one minute...
    The President's budget proposes to increase defense spending by $54 billion, and to take that money from non-defense discretionary (NDD) spending. NDD spending includes funding for science agencies, including EPA, DOE Office of Science, NSF, NASA, NOAA, and USGS. Help amplify science's voice by tweeting at your legislators about the importance of keeping robust funding for non-defense programs, like science. Forty-three percent of Capitol Hill staffers say social media influences their opinions on issues. Take one minute and stand up for science!

New Science is Essential Website

Learn how Earth and space science impacts our lives and the economy, and share that information with others. AGU recently relaunched Science is Essential as a one-stop shop to take action and get involved in supporting Earth and space science.

Sign Up

Send Scientists to the Capitol

AGU members like you can provide expertise and scientific focus to important issues that matter in politics.

One way to make your voice heard is to contribute to AGU's Capitol Cause Fund. Since 2004 members have donated almost $45,000, which funds education briefings on Capitol Hill and the Congressional Visit Day program which allow the scientific community to bring geoscience issues and unbiased expertise to Congress. The fund also supports other growing efforts to deliver sound science advice to Capitol Hill and to communicate directly with policy makers.

Please consider making a special contribution to this fund. Make your gift today by choosing Capitol Cause from the Special Initiatives drop down. Your donation, large or small, will make a difference.

Learn more about meeting with a member of Congress. Federal government employees: please note specific guidelines at bottom of the page.

Click here to unsubscribe.

2000 Florida Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20009-1277