Hello BESTers,

A major cause of food waste is spoilage due to the natural degradation
of produce.  Once produce is picked, it's a race against the clock to
consume it before it spoils, in this time it must be sorted, packed,
shipped, on the shelf at the market, then in our fridge or on our
counter until we decide to eat it.  And in our global economy, food can
travel incredible distance.  This article gives the examples of shipping
avocados to China taking about 30 day, which as it happens is about the
shelf-life of an avocado.  To slow down the degradation process, Apeel
Sciences has developed a coating, derived from crop residues, that acts
as a barrier to reduce the loss of moisture and intake of oxygen into
the produce, two of the processes responsible for spoilage.  The company
claims that it could extend the shelf life 2 to 4 times.  The coating
has also recently be certified organic and is edible.  While eating
locally-produced food would certainly help in reducing the travel time
of produce, the global produce market is not likely to disappear anytime
soon.  Innovators like these are helping to ensuring that what is
shipped around the world stays as fresh as possible and doesn't lead to
food waste.

Have  great weekend,

Ryan

http://fortune.com/2017/04/28/apeel-sciences-food-waste/

This Startup Has a Natural Solution to the $2.6 Trillion Food Waste
Problem
Beth Kowitt
Forbes
April 28, 2017