Greetings: Evaluations opened this morning at https://evaluations.ufl.edu . Evaluations for my courses opened a bit early, so you have time to get them out of the way before all the others hit next week.  Many of you know this already, but a few key points follow:

1.       If 80% of the class completes, you all get 1 bonus point added to final course grade (so, if you final course grade is 89%, the additional point would bump it to 90%). If 100% of the class completes, you all get 2 bonus points.

2.       Evaluations are anonymous, so I have no way of knowing who has, or has not, responded. I also don’t know what any particular person said.

3.       To further protect students, I won’t get to see evaluations until 5/4, after your final grades have been posted.

4.       The evaluations are very important to me – especially the comments – because I engage in a process called “continuous quality improvement”, which means I modify the class each year in response to comments and feedback from students. In general, your providing these evaluations is especially important to untenured assistant professors and non-permanent lecturers, for whom these evaluations carry weight in the annual performance evaluation.

5.       A bar chart showing the class progress will soon appear at the top of our Canvas site.

6.       I will send period reminders to complete these evaluations (infrequent at first, then growing in frequency as the deadline approaches). If you want the reminders to go away, please just complete the evaluations.  I’ll be very happy not to send reminders. We could finish this all in one day if you’d all do your ratings today :-) .

7.       Some students may be “conscientious objectors” about evaluations for some reason. In that case, to get your vote “recorded” (and qualify for bonus points), simply enter the evaluation, elect “unable to rate” on all dimensions, and leave the comments blank. (I would prefer you not to do this, but I want to make sure you know about that “out”).

8.       The absolute deadline to complete is 11:59 pm, EDT, on 04/20/2017. On 4/21 at midnight, the portal closes.

As always, I welcome your feedback and thoughts. In addition to talking to/calling me/emailing me, feel free to use the discussion board or the anonymous comment form on our Canvas site to share anything about these evaluations, or any other topic.

Have a good weekend,  Michael

==

Michael Marsiske, Ph.D.

Associate Professor

University of Florida

Department of Clinical and Health Psychology

PO Box 100165, 1225 Center Dr., Rm. 3170

Gainesville, FL 32610-0165

[log in to unmask] (email)

(352) 273-5097 (phone)

(801) 720-5897 (fax)