Hello, Rebecca,

We have an attendance policy for tutors that says they can miss work for
health/medical reasons, family emergencies, or academic conflicts (e.g., if
a professor requires them to attend a lecture, if they have a grad school
interview, if they are playing with the university orchestra at the
Christmas concert, or other such thing). If there is more than one tutor
for a subject, they can swap hours with each other to be absent for other
reasons as long as all the tutoring remains covered.

We emphasize this policy when we interview them in the spring, and again at
the beginning of the fall semester. They seem to take it seriously.

Best,
--Leslie

On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 8:22 AM, Rebecca Cofer <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Does anyone out there have an attendance policy for their tutors?  I try
> to be flexible with their schedules and allow for absences when they are
> stressed about a test but this time of year it is getting out of control.
> I want to remain a friendly, on campus, flexible job while also instilling
> that this job is a commitment.  I welcome any ideas from others on their
> own attendance policy for their center.
>
> Thanks.
>

> *Rebecca Daly Cofer*
>
> Coordinator, Academic Achievement Center
>
> Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College

Leslie Foley
Director of Academic Assistance
Pacific Lutheran University