Hello, Rebecca,

We have an attendance policy for tutors that says they can miss work for health/medical reasons, family emergencies, or academic conflicts (e.g., if a professor requires them to attend a lecture, if they have a grad school interview, if they are playing with the university orchestra at the Christmas concert, or other such thing). If there is more than one tutor for a subject, they can swap hours with each other to be absent for other reasons as long as all the tutoring remains covered.

We emphasize this policy when we interview them in the spring, and again at the beginning of the fall semester. They seem to take it seriously.

Best,
--Leslie