Hi folks,

We are running our 5 day workshop again this year at the University of
Washington campus in Seattle.  Details below -- please feel free to
distribute widely.

While we focus on modeling the spread of infectious disease, the
methods/software are applicable to all diffusion processes on dynamic
networks.

best,
Martina, Steve and Sam

Network Modeling for Epidemics
Summer short course at the University of Washington
14-18 August, 2017

Network Modeling for Epidemics (NME) is a 5-day short course at the
University of Washington that provides an introduction to stochastic
network models for infectious disease transmission dynamics, with a focus
on empirically based modeling of HIV transmission.  It is a ''hands-on''
course, using the EpiModel software package in R (www.epimodel.org).
EpiModel provides a unified framework for statistically based modeling of
dynamic networks from empirical data, and simulation of epidemic dynamics
on these networks. It has a flexible open-source platform for learning and
building several types of epidemic models: deterministic compartmental,
stochastic individual-based, and stochastic network models. Resources
include simple models that run in a browser window, built-in generic
models that provide basic control over population contact patterns,
pathogen properties and demographics, and templates for user-programmed
modules that allow EpiModel to be extended to the full range of pathogens,
hosts, and disease dynamics for advanced research.  This course will touch
on the deterministic and individual-based models, but its primary focus is
on the theory, methods and application of network models.

The course uses mornings for lectures, and afternoons for labs with
students working in small groups.  On the final day, students have the
option of developing an EpiModel prototype for their own research
projects, with input from the instructors, which includes the lead
EpiModel software developer, Dr. Samuel Jenness.

Returning students: We encourage previous attendees with active modeling
projects to apply to return for a refresher course.  The EpiModel
package has been significantly enhanced over the last few years.
Returning students with active projects will have the opportunity to
work with course instructors to address key challenges in the design of
their network model code.

Dates and location:

The course will be taught from Monday, August 14 to Friday, August 18
on the University of Washington campus in Seattle.

Application dates and decision dates:

*    May 1: Fellowship application deadline. Decisions will be made
      by May 15.

*    June 1:  General application deadline.  Applications will continue
      to be accepted on a rolling basis until this date. Decisions will be
      made by June 15.

Costs:

Course fee is $500. Travel and accommodation costs are the responsibility
of the participant, although discounted hotel rates will be available. We
offer a limited number of fellowships for pre-doctoral students or for
attendees from low income countries; these cover waiver of the
registration fee only (travel and accommodation are still the
responsibility of the fellowship recipient).

Application:

Apply online at https://catalyst.uw.edu/webq/survey/morrism/329397

Course website and more information:  http://statnet.github.io/nme

Please free to share widely!

Yours,
Martina Morris, Steve Goodreau and Samuel Jenness

  Professor of Sociology and Statistics
  Director, UWCFAR Sociobehavioral and Prevention Research Core
  Box 354322
  University of Washington
  Seattle, WA 98195-4322

  Office:        (206) 685-3402