Dear All,

The Essex Summer School (University of Essex, UK) will again offer and introductory and advanced course on Social Network Analysis.

1)      Introduction to Social Network Analysis<http://essexsummerschool.com/summer-school-facts/courses/complete-2017-course-list/1d/> (2 weeks, 10-21 July 2017)

The course focuses on the description and visualisation of social network data using UCINET. We will concentrate on uncovering structural properties of the network (e.g. density, homophily, and clustering), as well as on how to identify important persons in a network (e.g. degree centrality, structural holes, ...). We will also pay attention to the detection of subgroups and deal with basic hypothesis testing for social network analysis. Throughout the course some classic theories that focus on network processes (e.g. related to homophily, centrality measures, structural holes, Granovetter's strength of weak ties and small worlds) will be discussed.

More information at: http://essexsummerschool.com/summer-school-facts/courses/complete-2017-course-list/1d/

2)      Advanced Social Network Analysis: Cross-sectional and longitudinal SNA<http://essexsummerschool.com/summer-school-facts/courses/complete-2017-course-list/2n/> (1 week, 24-28 July 2017)

This module covers advanced statistical methods for analyzing social network data, focusing on testing hypotheses about network structure (e.g. reciprocity, transitivity, and closure), and the formation of ties based on attributes (e.g. homophily). The first three days provide an in depth discussion of exponential random graph models (also known as ERGM or p* models). We then introduce longitudinal models such as RSiena models (SAOMs) and relational event models.

More information at: http://essexsummerschool.com/summer-school-facts/courses/complete-2017-course-list/2n/

Best regards,

Filip

Filip Agneessens
Senior Lecturer in Organisational Behaviour and HRM
Programme Director, 4-year PhD in Management
Surrey Business School
University of Surrey
https://filipagneessens.com/

* Special issue CfP:
- Call for Papers - Negative and Signed Tie Networks (for the Social Networks journal).  https://www.journals.elsevier.com/social-networks/call-for-papers/call-for-papers-negative-and-signed-tie-networks

* Recent articles:
-Agneessens, F., Borgatti, S.P., & Everett, M.G. (2017). Geodesic based centrality: Unifying the local and the global. Social Networks 49, 12-26. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.socnet.2016.09.005
-de Klepper, M., Labianca, J., Sleebos, E., Agneessens, F. (2017). Sociometric status and peer control attempts: A multiple status hierarchies approach. Journal of Management Studies 54, 1-31. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/joms.12242/full