   Barry Wellman

                  Streisand/Sondheim
                        http://amzn.to/zXZg39

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 22 May 2017 11:02:43 +0000
From: "[utf-8] Complexity Digest" <[log in to unmask]>
To: "[utf-8] Barry" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: [utf-8] Latest Complexity Digest Posts

Learn about the latest and greatest related to complex systems research. More at http://unam.us4.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=4de426156c&e=55e25a0e3e

People on the move

    Science helps us think more clearly about migration, in part by showing
its deep roots. Researchers wielding powerful new methods have discovered
ancient, hidden migrations that shaped today's populations. Go back far
enough and almost all of us are immigrants, despite cherished stories of
ethnic and national origins. Science can also aid the 21 million migrants
today who are refugees from violence or famine, according to the United
Nations. They need food, medicine, and shelter now, but in the long run it
is their mental health that will be key to building new lives, as shown by
a case study of the long-persecuted Yezidis. The success of these and
other immigrants depends in part on whether new countries spurn or welcome
them, and research is starting to show how to manage our long-standing
biases against outsiders.

People on the move
Elizabeth Culotta

Science 19 May 2017:
Vol. 356, Issue 6339, pp. 676-677
DOI: 10.1126/science.356.6339.676

Source: science.sciencemag.org (http://unam.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=063c9ced99&e=55e25a0e3e)

Locally noisy autonomous agents improve global human coordination in network experiments

    Coordination in groups faces a sub-optimization problem and theory
suggests that some randomness may help to achieve global optima. Here we
performed experiments involving a networked colour coordination game in
which groups of humans interacted with autonomous software agents (known
as bots). Subjects (n=4,000) were embedded in networks (n=230) of
20 nodes, to which we sometimes added 3 bots. The bots were programmed
with varying levels of behavioural randomness and different geodesic
locations. We show that bots acting with small levels of random noise and
placed in central locations meaningfully improve the collective
performance of human groups, accelerating the median solution time by
55.6%. This is especially the case when the coordination problem is hard.
Behavioural randomness worked not only by making the task of humans to
whom the bots were connected easier, but also by affecting the gameplay of
the humans among themselves and hence creating further cascades of benefit
in global coordination in these heterogeneous systems.

Locally noisy autonomous agents improve global human coordination in network experiments

Hirokazu Shirado & Nicholas A. Christakis

Nature 545, 370374 (18 May 2017) doi:10.1038/nature22332

Source: www.nature.com (http://unam.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=effced5ccd&e=55e25a0e3e)

A New Kind of Science: A 15-Year View

    Starting now, in celebration of its 15th anniversary, A New Kind of
Science will be freely available in its entirety, with high-resolution
images, on the web or for download.

Source: backchannel.com (http://unam.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=dc5efa6b4c&e=55e25a0e3e)

Founding Editor: Gottfried Mayer.
Editor-in-Chief: Carlos Gershenson.

You can contribute to Complexity Digest selecting one of our topics (http://unam.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0eb0ac9b4e8565f2967a8304b&id=b686cdefa3&e=55e25a0e3e ) and using the "Suggest" button.