You could try this scramble exercise.  I generally use this exercise to create a social engine out of an interdisciplinary crowd

1) (15 minutes) In groups of 3 or 4, each person should take 5 minutes to describe their work and key challenges they face. Make some notes about the responses of the people in your group.

2) (15 minutes) now switch to a group of all new people, and repeat the exercise in part 1

Debriefing: how did you select the people in the first group (proximity usually), but how about the second group?

3) matchmaker: over lunch, identify people in your first group who would have a good conversation with people in your second group and introduce them and explain why they should talk to each other.

Ken Frank

MSU Foundation Professor of Sociometrics

Measurement and Quantitative Methods

Counseling, Educational Psychology and Special Education

And

Professor of Fisheries and Wildlife

Room 462 Erickson Hall

620 Farm Lane

Michigan State University

East Lansing, MI 48824-1034 phone: 517-355-9567 fax: 517-353-6393 [log in to unmask]

https://www.msu.edu/user/k/e/kenfrank/web/index.htm