      ** Please forward to anyone who might be interested **
                      CALL FOR PAPERS
International Workshop on Health Recommender Systems,
              to be held in Como (Italy)
    co-located with ACM RECSYS 2017 (https://recsys.acm.org/)

      Website: http://healthrecsys.ur.de

Important Dates:
================

** June, 22nd, 2017 Paper submission deadline
** June, 13th, 2017 Notification to authors
** July, 27th, 2017, Camera-Ready Version
** August, 27th-31st, 2017, HRS Workshop, RecSys conference

Workshop Organizers:
====================
David Elsweiler (University of Regensburg, Germany)
Santiago Hors-Fraile (University of Seville, Maastricht University)
Bernd Ludwig (University of Regensburg, Germany)
Alan Said (University of Skoevde, Sweden)
Hanna Schaefer (TU Muenchen, Germany)
Christoph Trattner (MODUL University Vienna, Austria)
Helma Torkamaan (University of Duisburg-Essen, Germany)
Andre Calero Valdez (RWTH Aachen University, Germany)

Objectives & Topics:
====================
Health is at the center of our everyday lives. During the 1st Health Recommender Systems workshop we elaborated a great variety of fields in which recommender systems can improve our awareness, understanding and behavior regarding our own health. At the same time these application areas bring new challenges into the recommender community. Recommendations that influence the health status of a patient, need to be either liable or accompanied by domain experts. To make the recommender liable, complex domain specific user models need to be created, which on the other hand creates privacy issues. While trust into a recommendation needs to be explicitly earned by transparency, explanations and empowerment, other systems might want to persuade users into beneficial actions that would not be willingly chosen otherwise. The variety of those challenges also results from the number and diversity of stakeholders involved in health systems. Taking the patient perspective, simple interaction and safety against harmful recommendations might be the prior concern. For clinicians and experts, on the other hand, what matters is precise and accurate content. Finally, health care providers, insurance companies, and clinics are interested in success rates, study results, and financial benefits of the new systems. In this workshop, we want to go deeper into the discussions started last year and establish a roadmap of possible research topics in Health Recommender Systems.

Our aim is to enhance the results of the first workshop in the following areas:

** Elaborate discussion topics of the first workshop
** Strengthen the community of researchers working on Health in RecSys
** Attract scientists from other domains to RecSys (e.g. health, psychology, ...)
** Find cross-domain collaboration projects and funding targets
** Establish shared infrastructure (datasets and tools)

We invite submissions that may include the following topics, but are not limited to:

** Algorithms for HRS
** Domain Knowledge Representation
** Regulations and Standards
** Behavioral Change
** Medical evaluation techniques
** User Profiling
** Pervasive Systems
** Personalization
** Persuasion
** Social Motivation
** Gamification
** Empowerment
** Trust
** Explanations
** Nudging
** Patient Needs/Satisfaction
** User Interaction Design
** Expert-in-the-Loop
** Privacy
** Ethics

The goal of this workshop is to share and discuss research and projects that reach beyond classic recommender techniques and discuss health domain related challenges of recommender systems.

Submissions:
============
We solicit short research papers (4 pages) and short position papers (2 pages), both in the ACM conference paper style. Participants can decide between a research focused submission, resulting in a workshop presentation, and a project focused submission, resulting in a workshop poster. Papers should be submitted in EasyChair: https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=healthrecsys17
** Submission category research: innovative research ideas, preliminary results or system prototypes

** Submission category project: funded research projects, industry and research collaborations or health-care and research collaborations

Submission guidelines:
======================
All submitted papers must:

** Be written in English;
** Contain author names, affiliations, and email addresses;
** Be formatted according to the ACM SIG Proceedings Template with a font size no smaller than 9pt;
** Be in PDF (make sure that the PDF can be viewed on any platform), and formatted for US Letter size;

Link or demo in attachment are preferred in both cases. All papers will be peer-reviewed, must not be under review in any other conference, workshop or journal (at the time of submission), and must contain novel contributions. Accepted papers will be published according to the ACM RECSYS 2017 WS publication rules.

Please use the workshop's EasyChair submission page for submitting your paper.

Location:
=========
RecSys 2017 will be hosted in Como, Italy, at the Teatro Sociale di Como from August 27-31, 2017. Please visit the RecSys 2017 website for more information about this location: https://recsys.acm.org/recsys17/location/

Contact:
========
If you have questions regarding the workshop, do not hesitate to contact the workshop chairs.

David Elsweiler - [log in to unmask]
Santiago Hors-Fraile - [log in to unmask]
Bernd Ludwig - [log in to unmask]
Alan Said - [log in to unmask]
Hanna Schaefer - [log in to unmask]
Helma Torkamaan - [log in to unmask]
Christoph Trattner - [log in to unmask]
Andre Calero Valdez - [log in to unmask]

Dipl.-Ing. Dr.techn. Christoph Trattner BSc
Assistant Professor
MODUL University Vienna
Department of New Media Technology
E-mail: [log in to unmask]