Hi all,

I wanted to make the list aware of an edited volume Social Network Analysis of Disaster Response, Recovery and adaptation by AJ Faas and myself published last fall by Elsevier, including several list members as authors. Contents are pasted below. But I also wanted to bring up a couple of points that emerged from our work on the book in case others have thoughts.

a. There are ties between people that constitute possible sources of support (and constraint), e.g., as broad as the people you know or, more narrowly, the nature of the relationship you tend to have with them.

b. There are ties that demonstrate some actual positive or negative support (or some specified interaction) that happens during and after a disaster.

c. So the point I wanted to think about further is the connection between potential tie and actualized ties, or what AJ likens to deep structure and surface structure in the book’s 2nd chapter. Most any individual or institution could be a potential tie—we could just look them up on Facebook or in the phone book—but I’m thinking more about the ties that you’ve had in the past that could be again actualized in a disaster.

Do any of you have papers you can share on this distinction, and particularly on the various contexts (e.g., disasters) and conditions under which the ties tend to become actualized and in what ways? It certainly depends on what is the tie that is being conceptualized and measures, and I’m sure there is a lot of variation in results, here, but it would still be worth considering for a framework.

Best, eric

Social Network Analysis in Disaster Response, Recovery, and Adaptation

Eric C. Jones and A.J. Faas

Part I – Social Network Analysis in Disaster Response, Recovery and Adaptation

1.       An Introduction to Social Networks in Disaster Contexts

E.C. Jones and A.J. Faas

2.       Social Network Analysis Focused on Individuals Facing Hazards and Disasters

A.J. Faas and E.C. Jones

3.       Interorganizational Networks in Disaster Management

N. Kapucu and F. Demiroz

4.       Strategies for Researching Social Networks in Disaster Response, Recovery and Mitigation

D.M. Varda

Part II – Networks in Disaster Response

5.       Perspective Matters: The Challenges of Performance Measurement in Wildfire Response Networks

Branda L. Nowell, Toddi A. Steelman, Anne-Lise K. Velez,and Sherrie K. Godette

6.       Interorganizational Resilience: Networked Collaborations in Communities after Superstorm Sandy

J.L. Harris and M.L. Doerfel

7.       Shifting Attention: Modeling Follower Relationship Dynamics Among US Emergency Management-Related Organizations During a Colorado Wildfire

Z.W. Almquist, E.S. Spiro, and C.T. Butts

8.       The Effect of Hurricane Ike on Personal Network Tie Activation as Response and Recovery Unfolded

C.S. Markum, A.V. Wilkinson, and L.M. Koehly

Part III – Networks in Disaster Recovery

9.       The Family’s Burden: Perceived Social Network Resources for Individual Disaster Resilience in Hazard-Prone Florida

M.A. Meyer

10.    Interorganizational Network Dynamics in the Wenchuan Earthquake Recovery

J. Lu

11.    Organizational Support Networks and Relational Resilience After the 2010/11 Earthquakes in Canterbury, New Zealand

J.R. Stevenson and D. Conradson

12.    Wellbeing and Participation in New Social Networks following a Day Care Fire in Hermosillo, Mexico

        M.L. Rangel, A.D. Murphy, and E.C. Jones

Part IV – Networks in Hazard Mitigation and Adaptation

13.    Networks and Hazard Adaptation Among West African Pastoralists

M. Moritz

14.    Cyclones Alter Risk Sharing against Illness through Networks and Groups: Evidence from Fiji

Y. Takasaki

15.    Stay or Relocate: The Roles of Networks after the Great East Japan Earthquake

Y. Lee and H. Sugiura

16.    Personal Networks and and Long-Term Gendered Postdisaster Well-being in Mexico and Ecuador

C. McCarty, G.A. Tobin, E.C. Jones, A.J. Faas, L.M. Whiteford, A.D. Murphy

Part V – The Significance of Networks for Policy and Practice

17.    The Practical and Policy Relevance of Social Network Analysis for Disaster Response, Recovery, and Adaptation

                        J.K. Maldonado

Eric C Jones

Assistant Professor, Epidemiology, Human Genetics and Environmental Sciences

Adjunct Professor, Health Promotion and Behavior Sciences

UT Health Science Center at Houston School of Public Health

1101 N Campbell St, CH 400

El Paso TX 79902

Office: 915-747-8503; Fax: 915-747-8512

Cell: 915-241-5385; Home: 915-228-9864