From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Shevawn Eaton <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tuesday, June 13, 2017 at 9:44 AM
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Tutor name versus course

Hi all,
I’d like to do a quick survey for those of you who have 30 or more tutors working for you.  We are currently at a point where SSC (you may recall I’ve mentioned them before) is really not understanding why we ask students to request a course as opposed to a particular tutor.   We have explained that we have multiple peer tutors who can tutor a particular course, and all of our tutors tutor multiple courses (it isn’t financially smart for us or the tutor if they can only do a course or two).

They informed  us that this is not usual.  So:

My questions are these:

1.       When you do tutor matches, do students request a tutor by name or by course or some other way?

2.       Are your matches automated or done by staff?

3.       If a student is requesting a tutor for a course you don’t have coverage for, how to you manage that situation with the student?

Thanks.

Shevawn Eaton, Ph.D., Director
ACCESS Tutoring & Support Services
Williston 100
DeKalb, Il 60115
PH: (815) 753-0581
www.tutoring.niu.edu<https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tutoring.niu.edu&data=01%7C01%7Curban%40UNR.EDU%7C4954ae6b4fc94443446508d4b27b8387%7C523b4bfc0ebd4c03b2b96f6a17fd31d8%7C1&sdata=EEr%2B%2FJgU2tt8k3EKAHRslPHj44aJ2Usw0Li%2FXlsf4pI%3D&reserved=0>