Loreta,

We use Starfish for our tutoring program and have been for about 3 years now. Unlike Joe, our center is primarily appointment based, so the system works well for us. Like any program, there are the occasional technical or human errors, but overall the scheduling is effective, and students seem to pick it up rather quickly. Students are connected to the tutors through their courses and a separate portal is available for our writing center, since we will review a paper for any subject area. Starfish also has a “Services” tab that provides a list of tutors by name and their schedules. This works well for students that would prefer to work with a specific tutor, since the link via course randomly assigns students to a qualified tutor.

Our institution currently utilizes two referral flags for tutoring and supplemental instruction. Our director and I reach out to the students when they are referred to make that personal connection. This system hasn’t been utilized to its fullest capacity across campus (and many instructors will simply refer by word of mouth), so currently the two of us can handle the referrals that come through.

Starfish has really helped with our data collection process as well. Our tutors record outcome reports for their appointments that summarize the session. These reports also can also record if a student was late or if the student missed an appointment. Starfish can generate its own data reports as well, and with a bit of editing in Excel, I can sort out information like total appointments, unique visitors, and visitation trends.

If you have any other questions, I’d be happy to try to answer them. I’ve only been in my role for a year now, so I’m still learning a bit of the ins-and-outs of Starfish.

Justin Baggott

Assistant Coordinator of Tutoring Services

Student Center 109B

(864) 646-1451

http://www.tctc.edu/Images/Media/TCTC_Signature09.jpg