I just did the numbers for our spring, and we were down about 25% in spring even after adjusting the numbers when we moved several highly-utilized subjects to a drop-in setting. We also had a significant drop in drop-in.

I have PR interns who made very short, targeted videos (like commercials) to send to students in departments whose usage dipped.  Not sure it helped, but I’m going to keep trying it in the coming year.

Amy

From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Nic Voge
Sent: Thursday, June 8, 2017 8:47 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Was: Learning assistance marketing efforts; Now: Drops in Spring semester usage?

Thanks for starting this thread, Jeffrey.

This statement caught my eye, "I’d like to see more students use our resources, especially in the spring when we experience a significant drop in utilizationI’d like to see more students use our resources, especially in the spring when we experience a significant drop in utilization.”

We see this, too, and I’m wondering how common this is, and to what extent (e.g. Percentage decrease) centers are experiencing this. We see it, but there is a narrative about it that it is closely connected with our unusual spring academic calendar.

If your Center does not see a drop in usage, I’d be curious to know whether there are strategies you use in the spring term.

Many thanks for your input. I’m happy to collate responses and post to the list.

Best,

Nic

Dominic (Nic) J. Voge  || Senior Associate Director

McGraw Center for Teaching & Learning ||  Princeton University

328 Frist Center

(609)258-6921  || http://mcgraw.princeton.edu/undergraduates