Hi Shevawn,

We hire and train approximately 45- 70 staff each academic year.

Here is the process:

1)  Tutors are not publicly known to the students unless they have had a
tutor before.  They can request a tutor specifically, but during their
intake appointment, we explain that schedules may not match, therefore
putting them into a group with that particular tutor cannot be guaranteed.

2) The matching is done by professional and student staff and because we
only do small group tutoring, we match the tutors schedule with up to 6
students' schedules to form a group.  Which is another reason why we cannot
guarantee a certain tutor.

3) We put them on the wait-list and explain that we cannot guarantee we can
find one but in the meantime, they need to use their professor's office
hours, buddy up with someone doing well in the class and also list any
other resources that might be available on campus or otherwise (youtube
videos, Khan academy, publishing companies etc)

Let me know what other questions you might have.

Best,

Mary Beth Willett,  Associate Director
College Success Programs,
​