From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Shevawn Eaton
Sent: Tuesday, June 13, 2017 12:44 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Tutor name versus course

Hi all,
I'd like to do a quick survey for those of you who have 30 or more tutors working for you.  We are currently at a point where SSC (you may recall I've mentioned them before) is really not understanding why we ask students to request a course as opposed to a particular tutor.   We have explained that we have multiple peer tutors who can tutor a particular course, and all of our tutors tutor multiple courses (it isn't financially smart for us or the tutor if they can only do a course or two).

They informed  us that this is not usual.  So:

My questions are these:

1.      When you do tutor matches, do students request a tutor by name or by course or some other way?

2.      Are your matches automated or done by staff?

3.      If a student is requesting a tutor for a course you don't have coverage for, how to you manage that situation with the student?

Thanks.

Shevawn Eaton, Ph.D., Director
ACCESS Tutoring & Support Services
Williston 100
DeKalb, Il 60115
PH: (815) 753-0581
www.tutoring.niu.edu<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.tutoring.niu.edu&d=DwMFAg&c=U0G0XJAMhEk_X0GAGzCL7Q&r=7VwPGzhF9quv4ZSWhOod3A8I81p1q60LKKqDOMWGlcc&m=aem4AVVJ7Vu5w-y9lXweZ0f7KJ22qWYeDB3VQKbmce0&s=4T4QHLI_ev1S5H1EXqjRWAEfythNTfGMcMU1wXWN1Ws&e=>