Hi Shevawn.

We have two options here:

1)     a Tutoring Lab for traditionally challenging courses. Tutors tutor more than one subject. Students schedule appointments online, via WCOnline. I always put next to the tutor’s name the topic he/she can support. In addition, WCOnline gives the student the option of selecting the class they need and then will show the schedules of only the tutors who support it.

2)     We have also a referral system for classes not offered in the Lab. Students access online the list of tutors available. The list is organized by topic and tutors support several ones. This second option, though, it’s for a fee for most students.

2b) If no tutor is available on the list, students can submit a request for the specific class they need help with. I then recruit tutors and send the student their contact information. Student and tutor then set up their meetings. When a student submit a request and we do not have a tutor, I always underscore I will start the recruiting process but there is no guarantee I will find one. I also gently recommend they go see the professor and/or TA regularly.

I hope this is clear. Let me know if you have any questions.

Ira

Pronouns : She, Her, Hers

Ira Fabri

Assistant Director, Tutoring and Program Development
Academic Support and Access Center
American University
Mary Graydon Center 243
Washington, DC 20016-8027
202-885-3365
www.american.edu/asac

Please note, I usually read emails during regular business hours.  Generally, I will respond within 24 hours, or sooner.  If you have a matter that needs immediate attention, please indicate that in your email or contact the front desk .