Hello Shawn,

We employ anywhere from 30-50 tutors at a time, some of whom may work both as a 1-on-1 tutoring and in a walk-in center.

1.       When you do tutor matches, do students request a tutor by name or by course or some other way?  Students are matched with tutors based on the course and the student’s and tutor’s availabilities. Students who know our tutors can certainly request a particular tutor (this usually happens when they’ve worked with a tutor before), but we don’t guarantee that they can work with the tutor they request.

2.       Are your matches automated or done by staff? Our matches are done by staff, but they’re done through TutorTrac. Staff search for tutors who can tutor the student’s course and then make matches based on the tutor whose availability best aligns with the student’s availability. For 1-on-1 tutoring, students are matched with a tutor for an entire semester unless the student drops tutoring or drops the class.

3.       If a student is requesting a tutor for a course you don’t have coverage for, how to you manage that situation with the student? Students are placed on the wait list while we try to locate a tutor who might be able to tutor the course and, if possible, referred to one of our walk-in centers. We would also refer them to any other resources we thought might be of use: the instructor, Khan Academy or other online resources, or an academic success coach.

Linda

Linda Whitlock, MA

Academic Link Coordinator

Virginia Western Community College

Link Learning Commons (Brown Library)

540-857-6704

I’d like to do a quick survey for those of you who have 30 or more tutors working for you.  We are currently at a point where SSC (you may recall I’ve mentioned them before) is really not understanding why we ask students to request a course as opposed to a particular tutor.   We have explained that we have multiple peer tutors who can tutor a particular course, and all of our tutors tutor multiple courses (it isn’t financially smart for us or the tutor if they can only do a course or two).

They informed  us that this is not usual.  So:

My questions are these:

1.       When you do tutor matches, do students request a tutor by name or by course or some other way?

2.       Are your matches automated or done by staff?

3.       If a student is requesting a tutor for a course you don’t have coverage for, how to you manage that situation with the student?

Thanks.

Shevawn Eaton, Ph.D., Director

ACCESS Tutoring & Support Services

Williston 100