1.       When you do tutor matches, do students request a tutor by name or by course or some other way?

Students select their course from within our scheduling system and then see a list of the possible tutors appear for their course.  They click on the name of the tutor and see the tutor’s available days and times.  Essentially, the student is self-selecting, but we start with the course.

2.       Are your matches automated or done by staff?

Automated and narrowed down by the students

3.       If a student is requesting a tutor for a course you don’t have coverage for, how to you manage that situation with the student?

For one or two students, we encourage them to work with the course TA if one is available or their professor after first checking that no one on our staff can support the course but isn’t listed for it.  If a group of students is requesting the support and funds are available, I reach out to a faculty member in the department who’s full time and see about the prospect of hiring a tutor.  We usually want to hear from at least a dozen students that they will be using the person’s services for the course before hiring someone for it as our staff work a weekly schedule throughout the term of 8-10 hours.

Sincerely,

Debbie Malewicki, MA

Director, Center for Learning Resources

Winner of the 2016 ATP Program of Excellence Award

Safe Zone Ally

116 Marvin K. Peterson Library

University of New Haven -- "A Leader in Experiential Education"

300 Boston Post Road

West Haven, CT  06516

Phone:  (203) 932-7415

Fax:  (203) 931-6013

E-mail:  [log in to unmask]

"Tutoring to Help You Blossom Into a Better Student”

Thought of the day:  “A man can fail many times, but he isn’t a failure until he begins to blame somebody else.”  By John Burroughs

[log in to unmask]" alt="Description: Description: cid:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]" alt="Description: Description: SafeZone">

I’d like to do a quick survey for those of you who have 30 or more tutors working for you.  We are currently at a point where SSC (you may recall I’ve mentioned them before) is really not understanding why we ask students to request a course as opposed to a particular tutor.   We have explained that we have multiple peer tutors who can tutor a particular course, and all of our tutors tutor multiple courses (it isn’t financially smart for us or the tutor if they can only do a course or two).

They informed  us that this is not usual.  So:

My questions are these:

1.       When you do tutor matches, do students request a tutor by name or by course or some other way?

2.       Are your matches automated or done by staff?

3.       If a student is requesting a tutor for a course you don’t have coverage for, how to you manage that situation with the student?

Thanks.

Shevawn Eaton, Ph.D., Director

ACCESS Tutoring & Support Services

Williston 100