Hi Shevawn,

I have about 35 tutors right now, so I’m on the lower edge of your request.

1.   In our center, students request tutors by course first. Then, we tell them (or they can see – all our scheduling is done online through WCOnline) what times are available, and the last step is choosing the tutor if multiple tutors are available at a particular time (we have been a commuter-only campus until very recently, so timing is usually more important to our students than who their tutor is).

2.   I don’t have quite enough staff (especially during the summers) for there to be a large number of choices of tutors during particular times, so this actually isn’t an issue very often. However, when there is a choice, I let the student make the choice, since some students have preferences. If they say, “Which one is better?” I let them know that everyone is good, but that some tutors work better with some students, and I encourage them to try everyone that fits with their availability, so that they can make a more-informed choice. Students seem to appreciate that advice, although I don’t have data as to how often they actually take it.

3.   I have a “Study Skills” option that can be used with any course on campus. Our “content” tutoring focuses mainly on general-education classes that students from all across campus have to take (English Composition, College Algebra, American History, etc.), but then I also have tutors who have been through additional training in “how to tutor when you don’t know anything about the content” that can help students with things like note-taking, organization, study and memorization strategies, and finding content resources. Our students are not “fans” of this – they far prefer having a tutor who knows the content – but the Division Deans on my campus really want students in more advanced courses to use more advanced strategies such as study groups or faculty office hours, and that’s fine with me.

a.   I also offer general writing help for students writing a paper for any class on campus, as well as help with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. We had a lot of students come to us and say things like, “I’m taking this literature class, and I know you don’t tutor that, but I have to [write a paper, do a PowerPoint, etc.] and I don’t know how to do that. Can you help me?” so we added those options as well.

I hope this helps! Please feel free to contact me off-list if there is anything else I can do for you.

Thanks,

Liz Nalagan

Elizabeth F. Nalagan, M.A. | Tutoring Center Supervisor | Rose State College | Office: LRC 250L | www.rose.edu
6420 S.E. 15th St. | Midwest City, OK 73110-2799 | Tutoring Center: (405) 733-7417 | Direct: (405) 733-7402 |

RSC-email-tag