1.       When you do tutor matches, do students request a tutor by name or by course or some other way?

When I used TutorTrac, students were REQUIRED to search for open appointments by COURSE, and searching by the name of the tutor they wanted was an optional additional step.  Just like you, I hire for versatility as much as possible so my tutors are always busy.  It would be too complicated to ask students first to learn which tutors do which course and then search individually by tutor.  Searching for the course is the only thing that made sense.

Currently I use WCOnline, and the way the schedules are set up, students can either search by focus (course), or scroll through and browse for a tutor who does their course.  WCOnline seems great for writing centers but is not a good fit for us (content tutoring), partly for this reason.  I’m looking for a replacement for WCOnline for my center, and the ability not just to search by course, but to RESTRICT searching to courses for which the student is actually registered, is high on my list of required features.

2.       Are your matches automated or done by staff?

Automated, except for targeted interventions that involve recurring weekly appointments.

3.       If a student is requesting a tutor for a course you don’t have coverage for, how to you manage that situation with the student?

We publish a list of courses covered by tutoring.  If a student wants something we don’t tutor but which one of my tutors might be willing to try, we post a note in the break room, and if there’s a tutor who is interested, they will contact the student directly and arrange private tutoring.

Thanks.

Shevawn Eaton, Ph.D., Director

ACCESS Tutoring & Support Services

Williston 100