Hi Shevawn,

Our tutoring program used to operate as a student/tutor matching service; students would request tutoring by course and would often name the tutor they wanted (usually a friend or roommate) on their form. They would then be assigned to work with a specific tutor. Each tutor would have a "caseload" of clients they were assigned to work with, but it was up to them and their student-clients to determine where and when to meet. We decided to move away from this particular model for several reasons and have since adopted a center-based system that aligns more closely with best practices in tutoring. I'm happy to talk more about this off-list if you (or anyone else reading this) would like to know more.

1.       When you do tutor matches, do students request a tutor by name or by course or some other way?

We now use WCONline to let students schedule tutoring for the Writing Center as well as our Tutoring & Learning Center, which provides subject-tutoring. Students use the course/focus option to see the schedule of available tutors in that area, then they choose the appointment they want with the tutor of their choice.

2.       Are your matches automated or done by staff?

Students select their tutor and appointment time/date for each appointment they make. Students with special accommodations from the Accessibility Services office may receive help in making standing or repeating appointments with a tutor, but the vast majority of appointments are made by the students.

3.       If a student is requesting a tutor for a course you don’t have coverage for, how to you manage that situation with the student?

As others have noted, students call/email/visit to share their request and , depending on the request, search for a current tutor who would be able to assist. If I have no available tutors, I contact faculty for recommendations or run a report in our student information system to look for eligible tutors. We're a small campus, so I will try to hire a tutor even if only 1-2 students have requested one for that specific course/area. If no tutors are available, I offer additional resources and skills support and may even meet with the student to provide tutoring myself.

Cheers,

Keira M. Hambrick, M.A.
Academic Support Coordinator, Safe Zone Ally

Academic Resource Center
Marietta College
215 Fifth St.
Marietta, OH 45750
Office: Bartlett 370-A
Phone: 740.376.4651
Email: [log in to unmask]

Tutoring Schedule

1.       When you do tutor matches, do students request a tutor by name or by course or some other way?

By course/focus (WC Online) then select from tutors and available times

2.       Are your matches automated or done by staff?

                Student-selected per session/appointment

3.       If a student is requesting a tutor for a course you don’t have coverage for, how to you manage that situation with the student?

                We do the same as many others have already mentioned.  Students email me their request, and I will see if a current tutor is able to tutor the course.  If we have enough demand, I will procure recommendations from faculty and try to hire a tutor for the course.  If not, I will provide any other resources that may be helpful.

Meigan Karraker
Assistant Director | Academic Success & Disability Services

Student Development Center | Armacost Library

P) 909.748.8484 | F) 909.335.5297 | E) [log in to unmask]

[log in to unmask]" alt="::::::01 Logos:University of Redlands:Style 1:Redlands_Style1_RGB.eps" width="230" border="0" height="48">

1200 East Colton Avenue l PO Box 3080 Redlands, CA l 92373

I’d like to do a quick survey for those of you who have 30 or more tutors working for you.  We are currently at a point where SSC (you may recall I’ve mentioned them before) is really not understanding why we ask students to request a course as opposed to a particular tutor.   We have explained that we have multiple peer tutors who can tutor a particular course, and all of our tutors tutor multiple courses (it isn’t financially smart for us or the tutor if they can only do a course or two).

They informed  us that this is not usual.  So:

My questions are these:

1.       When you do tutor matches, do students request a tutor by name or by course or some other way?

2.       Are your matches automated or done by staff?

3.       If a student is requesting a tutor for a course you don’t have coverage for, how to you manage that situation with the student?

Thanks.

Shevawn Eaton, Ph.D., Director

ACCESS Tutoring & Support Services

Williston 100