Leslie,

I appreciated your input in May concerning my request for information on
Tutoring Services Advisory Boards.  I am finally getting a chance to work
on my proposal and would like to use some of your information you
provided.  In order to give you proper credit, I was curious if you could
share your institution information and position.

I want to make sure I am citing everything correctly for CRLA!

Kimberly Courtwright

On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 5:16 PM, Leslie Foley <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> [...]
> a core group of advocates from among faculty, staff, and students  who
> could communicate essential information to and collect feedback from their
> various constituent groups. While I would say we don't meet all of our
> goals quite as well as I would have hoped, the conversations we have at our
> two meetings per year are excellent. We consider issues of student usage,
> stigma, models of delivery of tutoring services, institutional culture
> around academic support, and much more. There are always good, concrete
> action items to come out of the conversation, and I believe the overall
> benefit has been well worth the effort of creating and maintaining the
> board.
>
> We ask for a three-year term of commitment (and are working to stagger
> terms now). Members include a professor from each division of the college
> of arts and sciences and from one of the professional schools, the
> associate provost who oversees our operation, a representative from staff
> on the student life side, a representative from athletics, and a current
> student peer tutor.
>
>  I ask advisory board members to
>
>    - Be familiar with the Academic Assistance mission, goals, structure
>    (including process for selecting, hiring, and training tutors), and services
>    - Attend two meetings per year
>    - Communicate with members of their department or division about AAC
>    services
>    - Solicit feedback from within their department or division about AAC
>    services and share this information with the advisory board
>    - Be both a sounding board and an innovator at advisory board meetings
>
> I am quite open to hearing about the make-up and function of other
> people's advisory boards.
>
> Best,
>
> --Leslie
>
> On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 11:54 AM, Kimberly Courtwright <
> [log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> Good Afternoon,
>>
>> This summer, I would like to create an advisory board of sorts.  I am
>> looking to create an opportunity for faculty to provide suggestions,
>> discuss their expectations on what tutoring should look like, as well as
>> have an opportunity to learn more about our services and get to know our
>> tutors.
>>
>> I have a list of what I do not want to happen with this group, but I
>> thought I would see if anyone currently has a board (perhaps not called an
>> advisory board) that allows faculty to come together with tutors to
>> collaborate for the good of the students.
>>
>> Any suggestions and or warnings of what not to do are requested!
>>
>> Kimberly
>>
>> --
>> Kimberly Courtwright
>> Tutoring Services Coordinator
>> Academic Enrichment
>> 660-543-8310 <(660)%20543-8310>
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ To access the LRNASST-L archives or User Guide, or to
>> contact the LRNASST-L owner, email [log in to unmask]

Kimberly Courtwright
University of Central Missouri