Hi Everyone,

We use Tutor.com for our online tutoring, and our students LOVE it. Our usage has grown steadily over the past several years, to the point that our students prefer online tutoring to face-to-face tutoring. I’ve got several theories as to why this might be so, and we’re going to do a survey next semester to try to figure out why online tutoring is growing and f2f tutoring is shrinking.

My theories are:

1.   A significant number of our students take classes online only (I would expect a student taking classes online would also prefer online tutoring).

2.   Tutor.com is available 24/7; my center is not.

3.   Tutor.com is able to offer a wider range of subjects than I am.

4.   Tutor.com is able to match students with a tutor within minutes; I will never be able to have a large enough staff to meet that sort of demand. I can almost always meet a need within 24 hours, but that’s still no comparison.

5.   Many of my tutors are very resistant to any sort of coaching, and they prefer to run “tutor-centered” appointments. Tutor.com is very “student-centered,” and I think that is the main thing that students prefer.

We also use WCOnline for our scheduling, and I’ve experimented with their online tutoring options, but my tutors are not interested.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

Thanks,

Liz Nalagan

Elizabeth F. Nalagan, M.A. | Tutoring Center Supervisor | Rose State College | Office: LRC 250L | www.rose.edu
6420 S.E. 15th St. | Midwest City, OK 73110-2799 | Tutoring Center: (405) 733-7417 | Direct: (405) 733-7402 |

RSC-email-tag