Justin,

My school is smaller than yours - about 900 students. Our leaning center offers tutoring, the writing center. accessibility services, accommodated testing and academic counseling (students receive academic advising in their departments). We are a two-person office, with a director and an academic counselor who teaches an academic success class for at-risk, first-year students. Our space is in the Library, and we've had wonderful synergy with the Library staff. We've collaborated on various things, including cross-training the Reference Desk student interns as writing tutors. Our space is tiny, but we can flow into other Library spaces as needed.

On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 10:13 AM, Kennedy, Rachel <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Justin,

We have only about 400 more students than your institution, so similar demographics.  Our learning commons, where tutoring and mentoring occurs, is only five years old.  It is deep in the basement of a building, but a terrific space.  It’s been completely remodeled and the room is a very unusual shape (somewhere between an isolese triangle and rhombus); the room has a lounge, a conference room, four private study rooms, a big center desk with an IT student attendant, banks of 20+ computers, private carrels, big comfy chairs, trendy furniture and wall colors.  I’ve been to a few other institutions, and haven’t yet seen a space as nice.

I would suggest looking to see if there’s unused space in a basement of a building.  This used to be an IT storage room and they were willing to give it up and partner with us to develop this space.

Rachel Kennedy

Bethel College

Mishawaka, IN

From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]EDU] On Behalf Of Justin A Bowles
Sent: Monday, July 17, 2017 10:36 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Small school learning center start-up

Good morning, All,

I am looking for some advice and information from those of you that manage learning/achievement centers at small schools. I currently coordinate tutoring and mentoring programs, but we do not have a dedicated space. We have about 1200 undergraduate students and are hoping to get a center into our strategic plan. I am tasked with finding some good examples of achievement centers at schools our size.

I also would like to know how you started your centers. If you started small and what your center looked like in the beginning. I am trying to find space on campus that can be our “starting small” point!

Thank you!

Justin Bowles

cid:<a href=[log in to unmask]" height="92" width="97">

Justin Bowles

Assistant Director for Student Support

Academic Services and Faculty Development

Christian Brothers University

650 East Parkway South

Memphis, TN  38104

(901) 321- 3758

cid:D9AA5CA8-A383-4755-BA4C-56120AF5CCE1SNAGHTML29c22f64cid:99D948F6-07D8-42DC-B999-2C031414CE06cid:FAE87EA6-B927-4CA2-A8DE-B4B5314D0D0Ccid:<a href=[log in to unmask]" border="0" height="32" width="32">

NOTICE:  This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may contain confidential or privileged information that is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.  This information should be treated with the appropriate level of security to preclude the disclosure of sensitive or privileged information.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby advised that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this information is prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender, delete this e-mail from your machine's memory, and destroy the hardcopy information.  Thank you.