Hello:

We have been running a peer mentoring program for students who transfer into the School of Engineering at Rutgers University for two years now.

The program was in place before I started this new role at the university.  The mentors were recruited with the guidelines that they would mentor 2 students per term and meet with them for about 30 minutes each once a week.  The mentors are not paid, but there are other events they attend where food is provided to them.  In the meetings the mentors ask about how the students are performing in each of their classes and also discuss issues related to personal, social and career development.

I am more familiar with peer tutoring or peer mentoring programs where the tutors/mentors are paid, but they traditionally work between 4-25 hours a week dependent on factors such as tutoring discipline and program structure.

I was curious as to whether anyone was familiar with research that chronicled what percentage of academic support based mentoring programs had paid student staff versus volunteer student staff.  I have done some searching on the subject, but have not found solid studies chronicling what is occurring across the country in terms of whether most mentoring programs have paid student staff or volunteer student staff.

Thanks,

Rob Ciervo

Robert L. Ciervo, Ph.D., Assistant Dean for Transfer Services

School of Engineering

Engineering Building, Room B100
98 Brett Road

Piscataway, NJ 08854