Thank you, Debbie!  I like your idea and love the explanation behind it.

Becky Reimer
Reedley College
Math Center

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 6, 2017, at 12:49 PM, Malewicki, Debbie <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:

Hi,

A couple folks have reached out about the puzzle piece pin ideally directly, so I thought I’d post the response here in case other people are interested in doing something similar.

We order the puzzle piece pins from Baudville:  https://www.baudville.com/awards/lapel-pins/standard-pins/lapel-pin-essential-piece-navy/details/8/1/77290.  The blue one with the gold trim is what we give our student staff.  Our professional staff wear a gold one with a cubic zirconia in the middle that was discontinued a year or so ago, unfortunately.  (I bought a bunch just before that point.)

During the first term meeting that the employee attends, we hand out the pin as we explain the philosophy behind it.  We also give our new staff their CLR t-shirt at that time.  We call out each person’s name so that the other staff can recognize and congratulate them on joining our team.

The philosophy stems from an explanation given by a former Assoc. VP of mine, Christie Boronico, who unfortunately passed away of cancer last week.  It goes as such, with a few modifications from me to make it directly relevant to tutoring:

Every student’s experience at college is like a great, big jigsaw puzzle.  There are numerous pieces that the student is trying to fit into place to make sense of their experience.  Sometimes students leave a school or drop out because there are missing pieces in their “puzzle”/experience.  There are some things we can’t do anything about—seriously missing a significant other who’s across the country, passing of a family member, etc.  However, often we can be the “missing piece” of someone’s “puzzle” by being an open ear and referring a struggling student to an individual or department who can help and, specifically, we can assist by helping them succeed learning certain material for a course. i.e., academically.  Therefore, we ask you to proudly wear your puzzle piece pin as a reminder that you can be the missing piece of someone’s puzzle and help them succeed at ______________ (insert the name of your institution).

Incidentally, we’ve experienced nothing but great customer service from Baudville, as well as fast shipping.  I highly recommend them for educational recognition supplies.

Sincerely,

Debbie Malewicki, MA
Director, Center for Learning Resources
Winner of the 2016 ATP Program of Excellence Award
Safe Zone Ally
116 Marvin K. Peterson Library
University of New Haven -- "A Leader in Experiential Education"
300 Boston Post Road
West Haven, CT  06516
Phone:  (203) 932-7415
Fax:  (203) 931-6013
E-mail:  [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

"Tutoring to Help You Blossom Into a Better Student”

Thought of the day:  “Everybody is a genius.  But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”  By Albert Einstein

<image001.png><image002.jpg>