Dear all,

Please see next the CFPs for the 1st Symposium on Societal Challenges in
Computational Social Science

Inequality and Imbalance

-----------------------------
CALL FOR ABSTRACTS
-----------------------------

November 16-17, 2017
London, United Kingdom
Website: symposium.computationalsocialscience.eu
Easychair: https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=eurosymposium17
For inquiries: [log in to unmask]

IMPORTANT DATES

Deadline for abstract submission: September 30, 2017
Notification of acceptance: October 13, 2017
Conference: 16-17 November 2017

CONFERENCE SCOPE

The Symposium is an interdisciplinary venue that brings together
researchers from a diverse range of disciplines to contribute to the
definition and exploration of the societal challenges in Computational
Social Science, especially around the topics o inequality and
imbalance.

This is the first in a series of three symposia that discuss societal
challenges in computational social sciences. Future events will be
focused on "Bias and Discrimination" (Cologne, 2018) and "Polarization
and Radicalization" (Zurich, 2019).

We welcome submissions in the intersection of the social sciences and
the computer sciences, including (a) new approaches for understanding
social phenomena and addressing societal challenges, (b) improving
methods for computational social science, (c) and understanding the
influence of the Web and digital technologies on society. We are
especially interested in:

* Methods for measuring inequality and imbalance
* Measuring inequality and imbalance on the Web
* Mediating inequalities via computational methods
* Inequality data mining
* Inequality and biases in social networks
* Detecting trends of inequality
* Digital reproduction of inequality
* Online vs. offline inequalities
* Cross-country and longitudinal studies of inequality
* Missing data
* Digital civil society and digital citizenship
* Digital divides and digital inequality
* Global inequality and effects of globalization
* Power imbalances
* Demographics and age structures
* Underrepresented groups
* Wealth and poverty research
* Economic inequality
* Inequality in the urban environment
* Health inequalities
* Models of social capital in the digital age
* Non-users of digital technologies
* Accessibility of and barriers to digital technologies
* Skills and digital literacy

Other related topics are explicitly welcome.

SUBMISSION GUIDELINES

Original manuscripts should be submitted in English in pdf format to
the EasyChair submission
system:https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=eurosymposium17

Submissions should be 1-2 page abstracts (up to approx. 1000 words)
summarizing the work to be presented. We encourage researchers to also
submit mature work that has already been published and/or submit work
in progress. Please give a sufficiently detailed description of your
work and your methods so we can adequately assess its relevance. Each
extended abstract will be reviewed by a Program Committee composed of
experts in computational social science. Accepted submissions will be
non-archival,
i.e. there are no proceedings. We may however discuss options for
publishing selected submissions after the conference (e.g. as a
journal special issue or edited collection). Submissions will mostly
be evaluated based on relevance and the potential to stimulate
interesting discussions.

(CFP: http://bit.ly/2t4cwRN  CFW: http://bit.ly/2uHvHTc)

Nicolas Kourtellis, Ph.D.
Associate Researcher